Saturday, February 16, 2008

What does "well regulated" mean anyway?


Dear Gun-toting Stranger:


Let me start by saying that I am not a fan of the current interpretation of the second amendment. Your "right" to bear arms is arguable, in my opinion. But, I will admit that your actions were well within the law (a law I completely disagree with). Here's what I want to know though....is there really a need for a well regulated militia inside of the local Fuddruckers restaurant? Beyond that, did it seem like a great idea to you when you sat down at a table that placed your gun (which was completely in the open on your hip, not concealed) approximately six inches from the little five year old girl at the next table? Did that seem wise and appropriate? I'm just wondering, since clearly we have very different views on this sort of thing, if you thought it would make her feel safe and secure. Did you think it would ease her mind? Eventually it seemed the child's father had made some sort of comment or shot you a dirty look because you suddenly got up and switched seats with your companion (who was wearing no less than 10 John McCain stickers). The two of you appeared to be about 16, although I would have to hope you were at least 18. I'm sure you think you're very patriotic. But how are we supposed to know if you're the good guy or the bad guy? I'd really just like to know what motivated you to carry a (presumably loaded) weapon into a family restaurant. It's totally beyond my comprehension.



Anyone care to explain it to me?



~Mom on the Edge

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

you have got to be kidding me.