Thursday, February 7, 2008

A Wave of Change


Dear American Voters:


I don't often discuss my personal political beliefs and choices. Politics, like religion can often lead to heated debate and disagreement. I like to avoid these things for the most part. From time to time though, I am moved to speak out on one or the other of these subjects. I do so without reservation and without apologies in those instance.


I have long considered myself a fiscal conservative, social liberal who typically leans in the direction of Republican candidates on the national level. My money has always been the driving force in those decisions. I usually find local politics to be a more personal decision, the effects of those results hitting closer to home. This year something has changed for me though. I'm not sure I can even put it into words. It may take several posts to dissect my own thoughts.


This year for the very first time, Pearson and I will be able to put signs of support in our yard, on our cars, on our kids if they'll let us, in support of a candidate. We've never agreed on a candidate before, so we've avoided these symbols of support. But during this primary season (and hopefully beyond...into the general election campaign) we will be going all out to show our support for Barack Obama.


For the very first time in my personal voting history, I have found a candidate who I actually find hope in. I've always felt like I was voting for the candidate that I believed would do the least damage. But this time around I have the opportunity to vote for a candidate that I truly believe could enact some positive changes. It's an incredible feeling to discover a candidate that makes you feel hopeful about positive change, makes you believe in your own ability to assist with that change. Barack Obama is that candidate.


Do I agree with Obama on every issue? No, of course not. But I trust him and I believe he is a genuine and passionate candidate. He's not just passionate about being president. He's passionate about the potential of this country. Optimism is a powerful thing.


Reason #1 I believe in Obama:

Obama believes teachers should not be forced to spend the academic year preparing students to fill in bubbles on standardized tests. He will improve the assessments used to track student progress to measure readiness for college and the workplace and improve student learning in a timely, individualized manner. Obama will also improve NCLB's accountability system so that we are supporting schools that need improvement, rather than punishing them.


Amen to that!


So much more to say, but as I said, this will likely take me multiple posts. So that's it for now. I'll have plenty more reasons to share with you in the coming days.


~Mom on the Edge


p.s. Hey Virginia voters (and Maryland and DC), don't forget to get out and vote for Obama on Tuesday!!!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

i know! isn't it exciting that our vote actually counts?

Anonymous said...

I agree w/ the accountability rules-- it makes no sense to me that schools that are struggling get reprimanded. We are the schools that need MORE. I say we because I'm a teacher in an urban school. Over 75% of our population is learning English, 20-30% have special needs. That's WAY higher than schools in suburban areas.
Standardized tests are also not very standard. One of the test items on our state test was about baseball averages. What if you have never watched baseball? How are you supposed to have the knowledge you need to answer the questions correctly?!
No child is left behind because WE ARE ALL stuck back there.