Sunday, January 20, 2008

On a personal note...


Taking a break from my normal form here today, I want to address some personal issues. Most of my readers here know that I lost my mom to cancer two and a half years ago. It was a difficult journey, the cancer and the grief. But, as with all things, I got through it. It wasn't easy though. It still isn't.


Someone I love very much lost her own mother to cancer this morning. It's left me feeling raw and wounded all over again. At the same time though, I feel strong. I feel powerful. I feel like I can survive anything. And I know she can as well. She may not feel it today, or tomorrow. But she will heal. There's so much I want to share with her...but now is not the time. She needs this time to grieve.


But there are things I want to share here as well. I've never been through anything as horrible as losing my mom. The pain is not something I can even express. However, in so many ways I have been so blessed from the experience. Losing her opened my eyes to how lucky I really am, and always was. I have this amazing group of friends. They are so wonderful. I am surrounded by such strong and loving women. They've always been there...since we were really young. But I think I took them for granted. I didn't realize how lucky I was. Not everyone has that.


They are all intelligent, strong, beautiful, funny, loving, sarcastic, honest...just the best bunch of women I could ever hope to have in my life. They jumped right in and have filled a void in my life that I didn't even realize was there, until my mother wasn't. I don't know if they know how much they mean to me, but I guess they do now.


I love you, girls. You know who you are. Thank you for all the little gifts you give me, and each other, every day.
~Becky
p.s. I also want to give my male friends a shout out. They are also wonderful, fabulous, amazing friends. I love you guys, too.

4 comments:

Chaffy said...

Becky...you sound strong. You sound like you have grown so much in the last 2 years. Some people say everything happens for a reason, we just don't know what the reason is at the time. Maybe this was the reason you went through what you did with your mom, so you could be there for your friend and you would be the ONE person who knows EXACTLY what she's feeling right now...and what she will feel tomorrow and next week and two years from now. Hugs to you both.

GatorMommy said...

Becky, I'm so glad you have such wonderful friends in your life. Your friend who lost her mom is so lucky to have you, as well.

(((HUGS)))

Anonymous said...

You are one of the strongest women I know. We all are here for each other, so if all of this brings back fresh pain...you know you can count on me!

I think our closest friends are just that because we choose them in our own image...your description you gave of the women in your life fits you perfectly.


Much love,
Jen

Anonymous said...

That Jen is a wise woman. I agree with everything she said!