Wednesday, January 9, 2008

Such a critical thinker


Dear Alex:

I just wanted to document here how impressed I am with your abilities. You really are an amazing kid. So smart, so funny, so likeable. Today you were doing your homework and I suddenly realized how big you've gotten. You really think through your work. You're such a conscientious and enthusiastic student and that makes me so happy. I hope you stay that way. It will take you far.

~Mom

Internet friends:

Alex was at the table doing her homework tonight. She was reading sentences and had to choose whether to circle YES or NO for each. She was reading them aloud to me. We had the following conversation...

Alex: This one says Can you ride on a fish?

Me: Well, can you?

Alex: You can't ride on a shark or a whale I know for sure. And you can't ride on regular fish either. People do ride on dolphins.

Me: Yes, people do ride on dolphins, don't they?

Alex: Well, they do, but dolphins aren't fish....they're mammals, of course. So the answer is no.

Nice job, big girl. :)

~Mom on the Edge

3 comments:

Chaffy said...

She sounds so much like my Anthony, Becky. When he was young he had a homework paper that had them making sure the subject and predicate of a sentence matched.

The sentence was: "The cat roll on the floor."

He wrote: "The cats roll on the floor." and got it wrong because the teacher was expecting: "The cat rolls on the floor."

He's an outside the box thinker and took it the the teacher who had to admit that there were two right answers and give him credit for his. Smart cookies, our kids, huh?

Good for you, Alex!!

S said...

that is so cool! my mom gave me this book for christmas on how to raise a gifted child (eyeroll towards mom!) and this kind of thing is exactly how they define a gifted child vs. a normal smart child. Maybe I should lend you the book!

GatorMommy said...

Way to go, Alex! Very good thinking! (And, BTW, WTG parents because she knows so much about animals! LOL)