Monday, October 15, 2007

Vicious Attention Whore


Dear Ann Coulter:
What does it feel like to be the actual incarnation of evil? I mean, it's a powerful thing to be able to enrage and alienate an entire group of people in one fell swoop. Amazing. Actually what's amazing to me is that anyone still cares what you have to say. Your hate-speech has, I suppose, been your vessel to infamy. So perhaps it serves you well. Let's review just a few of your gems of wisdom...

" When we were fighting communism, OK, they had mass murderers and gulags, but they were white men and they were sane. Now we're up against absolutely insane savages."

How to respond here? As usual, I think your words speak for themselves. I'm not sure that you really have the credibility to be labeling others as "sane" and "insane" though.


"We should invade their countries, kill their leaders and convert them to Christianity."

Now, actually this would be the perfect answer to the problem...if we were a Christian nation, which we aren't (thankfully). America is not in the business of converting other countries to Christianity, at least we shouldn't be. Freedom of Religion doesn't simply mean the freedom to practice Christianity. That freedom is guaranteed to all. I'm sure this makes you sad. But really it's a founding principle of this country.


"No, we just want Jews to be perfected, as they say. ... That's what Christianity is. We believe the Old Testament, but ours is more like Federal Express. You have to obey laws. ...That is what Christians consider themselves: perfected Jews. We believe the Old Testament. As you know from the Old Testament, God was constantly getting fed up with humans for not being able to live up to all the laws. What Christians believe -- this is just a statement of what the New Testament is -- is that that's why Christ came and died for our sins. Christians believe the Old Testament. You don't believe our testament."

I know a lot of people, Jewish and not, were pretty offended by these statements you recently made. My gut reaction to your remarks was much the same. I thought it was hateful and anti-semitic. But when I thought on it more, I guess I realized that you weren't totally off base in describing your religious beliefs. Many Christians clearly believe they are a step ahead of the Jews. Being an atheist myself, I have to say that I completely disagree with your assessment though (big surprise). But I think that your statement, while not said in a very nice way, is in keeping with the beliefs of many (if not most) Christians. My problem with the statement is more that you are using your religious beliefs and the religious beliefs of others to gather more publicity and airtime for yourself, being the vicious attention whore that you are. And that, in my opinion, is very wrong.


"If I'm going to say anything about John Edwards in the future, I'll just wish he had been killed in a terrorist assassination plot."

Nice. I'm sure his small children appreciate the sentiment.


"I think [women] should be armed but should not vote...women have no capacity to understand how money is earned. They have a lot of ideas on how to spend it...it's always more money on education, more money on child care, more money on day care."

You're a credit to the gender, Ann.


"I think the government should be spying on all Arabs, engaging in torture as a televised spectator sport, dropping daisy cutters wantonly throughout the Middle East and sending liberals to Guantanamo."

So, all Arabs should be suspect? Where do we draw that line? How about Casey Kasem? There always was something very suspicious about that Shaggy Rogers character.


The venom you spew frightens me. What frightens me even more is the number of Americans who agree with you. That is terrifying. But the great thing about this country is that you have every right to pollute the nation with your extremist views. And I have every right to disagree....and to call you a dangerous, right-wing, hate-speaking, attention seeking, racist lunatic.

~Mom on the Edge

No comments: