Monday, October 1, 2007

The Little Blonde Girl, Revisited


Dear anyone with the right answer:


Apparently Alex recently told Little Blonde Girl that it's not nice to leave people out because of the color of their skin (yay Alex!). Alex told the girl that she wanted to play with those other two girls and she didn't care what they looked like. So now this child has decided to try to convince Alex that she shouldn't play with them because "they're mean." When I asked Alex if she thought they were mean, she immediately said that they are not mean, but very nice and a lot of fun. I happened to see Alex playing with one of those little girls the other morning when I dropped her off and they seemed to be having so much fun. :)


So now my dilemma is this: Do I continue to let Alex handle the situation since she appears to be doing a great job of it, or do I speak with the teacher about the situation? My concern is that I know Alex is not the only one Little Blonde Girl is trying to influence. I'm not sure they all will handle things like Alex has. The situation is so unfair to those two little girls (and according to Alex, the three minority boys in the class as well...one who is black, one who is Korean and one who is bi-racial) that I feel it needs to be monitored at the very least.


Maybe I could send a note to the teacher about the things Alex has told me. I could even offer to come and read a book to the class about diversity or something. I don't know what to do. The whole situation makes me so mad.


Any words of wisdom out there?


~Mom on the Edge

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

I think talking to the teacher is a GREAT idea and offering to read some books is a great idea, too. The teacher can't do anything about this until she knows about it, and from the perspective of a former classroom teacher, we often don't know what goes on at recess and lunchtime until someone tells us.

You know I think you're an awesome mom and human being, and I'm proud of how you've taught Alex to handle this. :)

Bridget

Chaffy said...

I agree. Talk to the teacher...don't send a note, but make an appointment and talk with her. Let her know what Alex is coming home with and how Alex is handling it and that you are pleased with it but you are worried about the other children, both the kids who are being discriminated against and the kids who may be being influenced. The teacher can then keep an eye on things covertly to watch for bullying and the like.

Big hugs for Alex.....you've done a great job, Becky!!! You should be proud! I know you are. :)

Anonymous said...

I agree too. Talk to the teacher in person. Involving an adult is in no way undermining the admirable way Alex has handled herself.
-Sarah

~Becky said...

I went in on Friday morning and talked to the teacher. She was shocked and assured me that she would have a talk with "Little Blonde Girl" that day. I feel better about it now that I know she will be keeping an eye on the problem. Thanks for the great advice, ladies!