Tuesday, September 4, 2007

First day



Dear daughter:

You're at school right now, your very first day of kindergarten. This morning was chaos, no big surprise. We are not morning people around here. When your brand new hot pink alarm clock went off for the very first time this morning, you tried to ignore it....so much like your dad. When I came in to turn it off, you rolled over and said, "That thing is way too loud. It woke me up!" :) We decided to lay around in my bed for a couple of minutes while Daddy was in the shower, but it was short-lived as we had so much to do this morning.

I started making breakfast---your favorite, bacon and toast---while you got dressed and brushed your hair. I decided to surprise you with a cute toast creation that I had heard would wow any kid. Apparently you are not just any kid....thanks a lot, Rachel Ray! You were totally unimpressed and asked me why in the world I would write on your toast. At least your little brother thought it was cool.

Realizing you had to be at school in ten minutes and no one was dressed besides you, we began the mad dash around the house to correct the situation. We gathered your school supplies, your "I love Jack" Pirates of the Caribbean messenger bag (so chic), and your pink camouflage lunch bag and headed out the door. I was feeling a little nervous for you, wondering if the kids in your class would be nice, whether they would take to your outgoing personality immediately or if they would shy away. I just wanted your first day to be great!

We arrived at the school a few minutes before the first bell. There were parents and kids everywhere. You were walking kind of slowly and I wondered if you were getting nervous or if you were just still unhappy about having to see the world before 8am. My stomach started to knot up a bit, hoping you weren't scared to start this new journey. You eased my fears pretty quickly though...

I opened the door and you strolled right in, without looking back even to say goodbye. You entered your new school life to a chorus of little girls squealing, "Alex! Come sit with me!!!" They love you. I knew they would. :)

~Mom


1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Alex, you look adorable on your first day of school. I hope it was lots of fun. :)

Bridget